Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Bagan, Myanmar

I went down for breakfast and the desk had called to check on my flight. Clearly May knew more than I, suggesting we confirm. They pushed the time two hours so I depart now at 6:20. they did suggest I arrive two hours before and not one, which seems a bit crazy given that the airport is so small if you spin you could leave it. But I will see what May says.

I am very pleased with this place, Motel Zein. It was recommended on Tripadvisor (of course) and is basic and the service is very good. The room is a good size and comfortable, with a small fridge, water, as seems typical in SE Asia, some toiletries, etc. There are flip flips in the bathroom as well as the shower is part of the bathroom though in a separate part, and the floor all gets wet.

May gave me her business card, and I'll share on a separate suggestions page as well- May Hnin Mu, and he is a licensed tour guide in Bagan. +959250085697, mayhninmu14@gmail.com.

I learned yesterday as well that the Bagan Archaeological Zone pass for 25k kyat isn't a racket but a government requirement. May said it's to clean up the temples, however, she said it goes into the government pockets. I was asked for this five times during the day so it is a requirement.

***Looks like I didn't update my second day and it's now a month later. So, I'll post pictures and mention a few highlights.

I walked around the town a bit then we went to see a couple more temples. Next we went to a laquer studio to learn how to make it. It takes SIX MONTHS! As there are 19 coats applied and each dries a week, then they do the etchings and that needs time to dry between colors.

We then went to a local village and it was both sadly beautiful and heartbreaking. I learned from my guide that people built with bamboo and thatched roofing until they were able to afford to replace with brick and a tin roof. They do have running water from pipes and collect in a cistern for use. The small buildings are either outhouses or showers. A lovely woman invited us in for snacks. Another older woman said she wanted to invite us in but she had nothing to give. She is widowed, and her daughter works in the city of Bagan to help care for her. It was truly heartbreaking and May and I made a donation for her care. We also bought some fairly good quality lacquerwear. May ordered hers to be picked up.. in six months. :)















































No comments: