Thursday, September 15, 2016

Europe 2016: Barcelona- last day

Today was absolutely beautiful out and a perfect day to walk the beach, Barceloneta. It has been a bit warm and very muggy, so today was really perfect. We decided to go to a new cafe for breakfast then headed out to the boardwalk. The water was very pretty though the sand was a tan color and fairly rocky so not very tempting to walk in. We enjoyed the walk along the water though, and it was so nice and relaxing.

After a couple of hours, we headed back and looked for a lunch place. We decided to get off the water thinking it would be less touristy and more affordable. We got a seafood paella that was not very tasty, not cooked well and sadly very overpriced. The cava wine was good though! We meandered a bit through the old town neighborhoods before heading back for Marie to grab her bag then head to the train station.

I'm so grateful for her friendship, and that we can see each other every few years and have such a wonderful adventure. I met her around 18 years ago in the US, and think she is such an amazing person. I'm so grateful to her husband for welcoming me into their home, then holding down the fort so we could have this trip. Their kids are beautiful and so much fun so I'm sad the trip is ending, but so thrilled for having been on it. Even a repeat of Stockholm and Sweden was well worth it to see them, and we did some new fun things as well. Gratitude.

I always have a bit of sadness at the end of a long trip like this. I'm glad to go home to my life and to see my pets, but sad to leave as I really love it here. I have enjoyed exploring and feel I saw everything I wanted to in Barcelona. This place is beautiful and has stolen my heart. Alas, I need to get back to healthy eating! I am actually craving a big salad, a sure sign the time is nearing an end. :)

Out to wander a bit and find a nice little tapas place to enjoy a last bite before getting to bed early for my long trip back tomorrow. Hasta luego, Barcelona!

Update: After Marie left I wandered a bit then went for food. I went to one place craving veggies (after all the cured ham and cheese!) and got a veggie plate and some mussels, which were good. I then found a place around the corner from the apartment that we walked by and kept talking about going in, and hadn't. I ate dinner on the top of a wine cask and it was so good! I quickly struck up a conversation with Anne and Richard from Perth, Australia. They recommended the tomatoes (heirloom-- yum!) and spicy patatas bravas both of which were amazing! I had a wonderful glass of Ribera del Duero (red wine) and talked with them for two hours. They are truly wonderful and I really enjoyed learning about their travel adventures! They retired early and travel a lot and were so much fun! I was feeling a little sad after Marie left and it sure perked me up!

You never know who you will meet, what you will see and how you will feel. It's so amazing to travel the world and to experience differences all around us. I saw many women in birkas on this trip, a new experience for me. I met a wonderful family from Saudi Arabia, two Germans, Australians, and other folks from around the world and realize how wonderful this planet is, and how incredibly beautiful it is when we are just open to other people and cultures and experience instead of judge. I am so very grateful for this trip and for my ability to come! I have to get up 'early' to go to the airport (earlier than I have been up in two weeks though not early for me.. so wish me luck!)

xo, Sam




 The cups read: food, weed, drinks and ferrari so I had to contribute. Care to guess where?





No comments: