Monday, November 9, 2009

Last Day in Seattle: glug, glug

Divya changed her flight to not get in at 1 am to Boston, so she had to get up before 5 am. Ick! We were up talking pretty late, so it came really early! I never got back to sleep but dozed a bit. Shameem and I made our way back to Lola for a hearty breakfast to warm our bones around 8:30. She got steel cut oats, candied almonds and apples, and i got scrambled eggs with kale, feta cheese, toast and bacon. There was a light rain and it is warmer than it's been all weekend. We scoped out where the bus is to get back to the airport, much to our confusion as apparently there are several options. Every time we asked at our hotel, we got a slightly different answer! We walked a bit then she ran over to catch one of the busses. she apparently JUST made it, and sent me a text that she had to block the bus to get the driver to stop so she could get on! At least she made it and is on her way!

I'm off to finish packing and check out, then doing some more exploring. I'll likely camp out in a couple of coffee shops and walk when it's not raining too heavily. Considering a few things, but more in the mood for walking and sipping coffee-- and hey, that's what Seattle is all about. I'm hopeful I'll get to meet up with my college friend today as I got a text from him this morning asking about my plans. It's been 17 years I think, and will be really wonderful to see him again if we can manage it.

I walked.. and walked.. and walked all around the city for a few hours. Went through Belltown, Pioneer Square, Pike Place Marketplace again, and possibly other areas that I crossed into and didn't know. I stopped in Midtown Espresso (it only seemed fair since I went to Downtown Espresso) and had a chai tea. The owner was wonderful and we chatted for a while. It was a small cafe and locals poured in steadily. After a little more walked I decided to risk Lola again for the Haloumi cheese and date skewers. I say 'risk' because the food is great and portions large! It was really amazing!! I only ate maybe half of it and was stuffed, but enjoyed it. I sat by the fire in Hotel Andra a little bit to toughen up before the walk outside again. It has rained steadily today and got cooler than the morning was. Thankfully the wind hasn't been too bad though.

Got a text from my college friend Matt about meeting up for coffee so I'm really excited. I would have been so disappointed to be here and not be able to see him after so long!

Thankfully the critters are doing really well and have enjoyed getting extra visits and attention-- I'm so thankful for my petsitters and friends for being so wonderful to me so I don't have to worry about them. :o) Going to sit in the lobby for a little bit to thaw out, head over to meet Matt then on to the airport! This has been a great trip in a beautiful city. I would definitely come back but would love to check out the parks outside of the city. We're talking about a trip to Vancouver as well!

Cheers!
S

No comments: