Thursday, November 5, 2009

Day 1: Sunny in Seattle

My feet touched down back in Phoenix from my Italy adventure, and I started scheming on my next trip: a long weekend in Seattle! I have never been so I'm excited to see it, and thrilled to get to see my friend Divya from Boston. It's been at least six years since I've seen her. We're joined by her friend Shameem. Unfortunately her friend Jackie is sick and can't travel, so we'll be thinking of her!

It was *sunny* when we landed, which was exciting as the weather forecast looks like this: RAIN, RAIN, SHOWERS, RAIN. But hey, I'm told that it's a light misty rain (kind of like the 'dry heat' not being as hot in Phoenix, I think.) We checked into our adorable little boutique art hotel and dropped our things off. The rooms are really small but well appointed, and this place is really cute. The room cards have a guy hoola hooping on them, and our door has a cool dude on it. We decided to go next door to the sushi place to eat (yes, dangerous to have a sushi place right next door!) Had a fabulous lunch-- Div and Shameem had almond crusted goat cheese, some sushi and edamame, and I had a bowl of udon noodles and seafood which was perfect in the cool weather. We then took the monorail to the needle and went to the top to enjoy the view.


We checked out a glass blowing studio and watched them work for a bit. The glass was really beautiful and it was fun to watch. It started to rain so we decided to duck into a donut shop that Divya's brother told us to check out, called Top Pot Donuts. We each got one to try, including a 'chocolate feather boa' which was really cute! It was sprinkled with coconut and pretty good. I unfortunately missed my friend for drinks and we headed back to our hotel to dry out before dinner. We're going to an Ethiopian restaurant, and will probably not be out late tonight because Divya and Shameem came from back east with 6 am flights and are quite tired. Tomorrow we'll check out the evening scene!

The Ethiopian place was very cute and the food good. A little before we left, two women walked in who clearly looked like 'workin' girls.' One had a gold lame dress, and the other bright turquoise pants with impressively matching boots. Very, very tight pants. The entire restaurant stopped eating and turned around to check out the new scene. Ha! We swam back to the hotel and decided to call it a night. I wonder how long it takes for gills to go away... My local friends swears that it never rains like this here. Suspicious, given the weather report, but ever the optimist, I choose to believe that the weather dude does not know what he's talking about, and the 100% chance of rain tomorrow is just not going to happen after all. I'm sure it will be bright, sunny and lovely here. [no, I have not been drinking. However, I cannot promise that that will continue if it keeps raining like this and we seek indoor activities to stay dry and warm.]

S

No comments: