Sunday, December 10, 2017

Asia Adventures, round 2: Thailand, Laos, Myanmar; Krabi Town

Hi all! Incredibly long day of flying but I'm here! In Thailand!

The highlights of the trip include a dash through LAX to catch a flight (as flight 1 of 4 was late to leave, then sat on the tarmac for a while. So my 2.5 hour connection became just over 30 minutes), getting yelled at by an American Airlines staff member when I asked for help to find my flight after losing my boarding pass and not being able to provide a ticket for checking in a bag because, get this, I did NOT check a bag! Getting a middle seat on a 14.5 hour flight where I had a skinny little asian man pretty much enjoying my seat with me.. ahhh. The joys of travel. Trying to navigate huge airports like Hong Kong (which was so well-marked it was pretty easy) and especially Bangkok (nightmare) on no sleep was a bit, oh, exciting, but I'm here, here, here!!

Though I was all excited to have gotten everything into a carry-on bag that fits in an overhead bin, it did not meet the weight standards (7 kilos) for the small plane I took from Bangkok to Krabi Town, so it did get checked. It came out as required (yay!) and my transport was there waiting for me. He didn't speak English and since I don't speak the local language, it was a quiet journey.

I picked Krabi Town, or more specifically, Ao Nang, for a couple of days of beach and relaxation to try to adjust to jet lag. i don't sleep on long flights in the best of circumstances, but with four flights for a total of around 21 hours flying time, plus airport time-- it's been a really long day. Well, more than 24 hours, actually! I left at 9 pm Friday and arrived on Sunday mid-afternoon.

The ride to my hotel took around 40 minutes, and it could have been any town in Mexico. There are really lush tropical plants here, and everything is really bathed in a green blanket of all different shades. Many of the buildings have a tin-looking roof of bright colors, and the buildings are all in various states of decay-- repairs are made for need and not really for aesthetic. Roosters are crossing the roads in traffic and, I was a bit surprised that they drive on the other side of the road, like the English do. I said a silent "thank you" for deciding not to rent a car here. After my, ahem, "challenge," driving in Ireland, it's best I didn't try that again! I am thrilled to say that the first sign of America here was a 7 eleven store and NOT golden arches.

I am staying at the Ban Sainai Resort, and I am so glad I did! It was a little bit of a splurge. Hotels in Thailand, and most of Asia for that matter, are crazy inexpensive. This one was off the main road and looked so nice! I had booked a room on a pond with a hammoc, however, somehow managed to book the wrong dates for a pre-paid hotel! Yeah, get that. This trip was an intense travel planning one, given that I'm in 6 cities (8, actually) in 16 days. Once I got the masterpiece booked, all but one of the local airlines cancelled flights and had me researching to rebook. So it was a tremendous effort and no wonder I made a mistake. I'm just grateful I figured it out two days BEFORE I left and not after I got here!

I rebooked to another room that was more affordable and while I'm sad to not have the hammock, it's amazing! Large room with stained concrete floors, bamboo accents, a large porch, and right near the pool where the massage hut is-- WIN! The hotel front desk is open air and when we pulled up, I was instantly taken care of. I was seated and presented with a small cold drink which tasted like a light juice of some kind, and a nice wet cold washcloth. I immediately booked a massage for 40 minutes later (yes!!) and then I was driven to my cottage and told about all the property has to offer.














Oh, that massage! i have never hurt so good in my life. I was very stiff and in a bit of pain from the journey and she pummeled me, stretched me.. oh man it was amazing. It started with my feet on warmed sea rocks and a foot scrub. It was in an open tent by the pool with sheer curtains, but by that time I really didn't have a care in the world. I literally had to be helped up from the table of torture, and I'm writing this the following morning wondering if I can do another.

The pool is a large salt-water pool where the water runs onto another area as a water feature. There were a lot of people there when I arrived but only a few when I left. I made my way to the restaurant and was surprised that no one was there but me! It was very nice and on the pond on the property, so I'm excited to have breakfast there to see what it looks by day. I got a thai dish, beef basil with rice and was so happy to be back in chopsticks! lol. While I likely won't eat beef in Asia much, out of fear for what mystery meat it could be, I figured a resort like this is safe and enjoyed it. I also got a mango sticky rice for desert, as I was told it's a must have. I took that back with me to my room and munched on it last night. Yum! I forgot to take a picture so will have to try it again, but it consists of a cut up mango, some very sticky rice that is almost blue in color, vanilla ice cream and what I believe was coconut cream. The combination made for a chewy, sweet and creamy mouthful. Yum.

I passed out pretty early-- just before 9, and woke to the sound of a distant but non-obtrusive rooster calling out at around 6. I'm enjoying laying here, and just be-ing. My back is a bit tender from the massage and I apparently have a matching set of blisters, but oh, I'm here!

I forgot to mention that when they guy brought my bags to the room (Son, my go-to guy for everything I need while I'm here), he kicked off his nice black shoes at the door and went in the room in socks. The room I had just traipsed in, in my sandals. Whoops. I forgot about that local custom.

Still trying to determine what to do today-- I have a sunset cruise tonight that I'm really excited about. It starts with a pickup in town at 1:15. I'm debating on going to the beach, going into town, or having another massage and laying by the pool. We shall see what my body is up for! Before then, I need to get up and head over for breakfast at the pond. Ahhh.. this sure is nice. And while the hotel isn't expensive by any means, the $180 I spent is a lot for the area but so well worth it! The room is incredibly appointed-- the usual stuff, of course, along with a robe and slippers, sandals, a nice thatched bag with a beach towel in it, an umbrella, water bottles, and a local snack of dried plantains.

Today is expected to be cloudy with a high of 89. I'm hoping the sun will make somewhat of an appearance for the cruise, though.

Alrighty-- my pics didn't update on my laptop from my phone, so will update this after I have access to them. I'm not in the mood to fix this now!

No comments: