Saturday, May 30, 2015

A Bite of the Big Apple

It has been three long years since I last went to New York. THE city. While I didn't grow up there, it still feels like home. There is no other city I have been to as often, outside of Boston, where I grew up.

There's something about this city that is so amazing-- the energy, the hustle and bustle of people carving out their lives in a skyscraper kingdom. I'm not sure if I could live here, but I really love visiting.

I'm meeting up with a friend that I have known for a long time. I love her dearly, and always enjoy our time together. We are pretty much as different as could be, and yet I absolutely love all of those things about her that makes us different. I find her so interesting and such a warm, kind and creative person. We always have such a great time.

She found that this weekend is Manhattanhenge--when the sunset aligns perfectly with the city's grid. It happens twice a year with a full sun, and twice a year with a half sun. All four times illuminate both the north and south sides of every cross street of the borough's grid. I land in Newark at 5:55, will dash to catch the train to NYC, and will rush on over to the east side where the viewing is better and coincidentally where our hotel is. Some of the recommended viewing streets are six blocks away, so hopefully I'll make it in time for sunset at 8:12 (or actually, a little before sunset, for some amazing pictures.)

http://gothamist.com/2015/05/28/manhattanhenge_2015_starts_this_wee.php

It's supposed to be partly cloudy today, so I am also hoping that the sun will hold out for a little while at least. The weekend is expected to be a washout but the weather forecasts are looking a bit more optimistic for partly dry times. Either way, we're in NYC! A little rain won't deter us though may change a couple of our plans. It's all good though-- our city awaits!!

I landed on time and raced to the shuttle to get to the train to NYC. It's funny, as I couldn't remember where to pick it up, but as soon as I landed and started walking through the airport, it all came back to me. The shuttle arrived quickly and I made it on the train with 10 seconds to spare. Since it's Saturday, the next wasn't coming for 45 minutes so I was thrilled to make it. The ride took 25 minutes to Penn Station, not the prettier of the two terminals.

Given the time, I was going to take a cab, but I think he thought I looked like a meal ticket and was going to charge me $35 to go to the hotel! It was less than 2 miles and took me 30 minutes to walk! Um.. no thanks! I hoofed it and made pretty good time, even with the lights. (Shona said it should have cost less than $10).

The hotel is really cute! Our room is small-- typical for NYC. We're in one of the Pod hotels on 51st. My friend was already here so we caught up quickly while I tossed my stuff out of the bag, and raced to head south ten blocks to view the sunset.

We got to a great viewing place right in front of Grand Central Station (a gorgeous train station) but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. There were clouds near the horizon so all we saw was backlit clouds. Disappointing!! We did a quick run through of Grand Central and enjoyed watching the masses of people also disappointed by the viewing.



We met up with another friend from Boston and grabbed some dinner at an asian bistro. We got a drink that had vodka, matcha green tea, mint leaves and lime in it-- yum! Then we stopped for a drink at Tuttles, where they have a really cute open backyard garden patio.

Ahh.. the city. I really do miss being in a city. Phoenix is a city, of course, but more of a huge sprawl without much of a draw of a downtown center to walk around. This is fun!

We walked back to the hotel as it's now late, and we have a busy day of walking tomorrow!

Good night, all!
Sam




No comments: