Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Boston Days 3 & 4

We woke up fairly early and headed out for a walk. We decided to drive over to Castle Island, off South Boston, for our walk. It was really beautiful being along the water: the sun beaming down, a light breeze, sound of seagulls scent of the salt water. People were fishing and we could see part of the skyline in the distance over the water. I had never been here before so it was worth seeing.

We went back to lay down for a bit, then headed over to Coolidge Corner in Brookline for some book shopping (the gal whose place I was in asked for a book recommendation. Instead, I decided to buy her some books). We went to Booksmith and stocked up on some reads she will enjoy, then walked around a bit and headed to Temptation Cafe (or something like that!) for a late lunch. Yum! We walked some more then headed back on the T (the subway). I used to ride it every day when I worked in the city.

We took the pup for a walk down Newbury Street, window shopping and people watching, and walked down Boyleston a bit in Copley then back to Comm Ave. I love this tree-lined street with the brownstones. It looks very NYC!

I met my best friend from high school through my 20s, Tom, on Newbury Street for dinner. What a fun time catching up! It's been 3-4 years since I last saw him.

This morning I took a walk then met an elementary school friend, Lori Greenberg! We spent the day together, meeting near the Boston Common (as I got lost going to Faneuil Hall-- ahem!) We went to the North End for coffee, then walked on the waterfront and got a drink at the lovely Seaport Hotel. Then we walked to Chinatown for dim sum-- yum! Then we went to Fanueil Hall to walk around and stopped in the Ice Bar (forget the name, but they give you a parka and gloves and you go into a room where you can see your breath, which is covered in ice.) I went to a similar one in LA years ago. It was fun and a nice way to cool off from the walk! It's very humid today.

We then walked around Fanueil hall for a bit and went to Dick's Last Resort, a place known for the rudest waiters ever. They made people wear paper hats saying things like "I pee when I laugh" and "Showering makes me sneeze." Lori got one that says 'I heart my waiter." It was cute.

We decided to go up to the North Shore where we grew up. It was so strange going back! We went to Salem Willows, which hasn't changed a bit! We walked on the beach for a bit then through the arcades, little restaurants where you can grab and go with chinese, fried dough, salt water taffy and typical fair foods. Then we drove through Peabody where we grew up. We drove past my parent's old house and it hasn't changed much. The two houses next to it were built up and look completely different though!

It was a long day but such a fun walk down memory lane. I haven't seen Lori for 25 years, so it was really amazing to catch up in person!

Time to get some rest as tomorrow will be another fun and long day! Night, all!
s

No comments: