Friday, May 9, 2014

Amsterdam day 4/paris

This will be a short post as it had been a long day and I'm pecking on my ipad. I only slept a couple of hours last night-- not a good trend. Tried to shake it off and with wpthe rainy weather forecasted it went to the museums. I decided on the rijksmuseum and was not disappointed.

The building is gorgeous and looks like an old palace. It's four floors and a great history representation including Rembrandt and the Nights watch, and a special exhibit of Asian art and shipbuilders tester models. I spent a couple of hours wandering. I wanted to go to the Van Gogh museum, but heard mixed reviews and decided to take a power nap before heading on the high-speed Thalys train to Paris.

We made our way on the metro from the north train station to our hotel, just next to the Sorbonne university. Cute little boutique hotel with well appointed though small rooms. We decided to go to dinner at a place I went to on my last trip around eleven years ago, curious if it's still as good as I remembered. I was not disappointed. Decided to walk nearby first and got to see my favorite church st etienne du Mond and the pantheon, shrowded in much scaffolding. Seems to be my luck with this city! The last time I was here the Arc De Triumph and Notre Dame were in scaffolding.

We went to dinner at a place I went on my last trip eleven years ago called Le Coup Chou, or the little chicken. Quaint old place with very small rooms, lots of fireplaces, low ceilings with beams. Quaint and gorgeous. And the food was amazing. We both gots duck breast with apples and potato pancake. Worth it! Plate licking good. Seriously. And the wine here is affordable and incredible.

We mapped out our trip for tomorrow. Lot to pack into a day so well see how it goes. I'm so excited to be here! This city is as gorgeous as I remember.

No comments: