Monday, September 3, 2012

Getting my culture on at Chaco Canyon Cultural Center

I came to New Mexico to visit my Dad for Labor Day weekend. What better way to spend a long weekend in NM than with dogs and visiting ruins with dad? Junebug, a dog that my dad is doing rehabilitation on was here on Friday and Saturday. Her beautiful big white pittie face greeted me in the car at the airport. She is white with large brown spots, and looks kind of like a heifer cow but oh so cute!

On Saturday we went to the Albuquerque west pound to watch a play group. Amy Sadler came a while back to talk about how to run play groups. It's a great thing for the dogs, and for the people to use to evaluate their social skills. When we were there, we met this super scared dog named Princess. She was so frightened she couldn't walk and had to be carried. Dad worked with her for a little bit and she showed some quick progress. She was e-listed (euthanasia list) but one of the primary volunteers pulled her off hoping to find someone to work with her. Dad offered to take her for a few days on Monday. He felt that in a few days he could get her to come around enough so other people can work with her. She's a real beauty and taking some time to help her get her over her fear will make her adoptable. It was nice to see a fairly large dedicated group of volunteers. I got some ideas to consider trying in Phoenix when I go home.

On Sunday we headed up to Chaco Culture National Historic Park to get my native american ruins fix. It's one of the 'Four Corners' sites, but Dad and I didn't hit it a couple of years ago on our last road trip (we did visit the other four corners in Utah, Colorado and Arizona and the ruins in those areas.) It's just under three hours from where he lives, and the last part was along a dirt road. Oh, I was in heaven! I just love going to places like this where you can feel the echoes from the past.

The ancestral Puebloans lived here from around 850 and 1250 A.D. It was first believed that thousands lived here, however, as they excavated they noticed that there were very few hearth fires. They've since concluded that it was an administrative and ceremonial area. Centrally located, it drew thousands for purposes that they are still unsure of. They found evidence of people living across the creek.

They built six Great Houses that were several levels high, showing the architectural sophistication of the time. One of the structures stood 4 levels high, which is impressive when you look at the small rocks they used to construct the structure. It is believed that Chaco was the cultural and ceremonial center of the San Juan basin around 1050, and may have been a hub for the turquoise trade. In the 1100 and 1200's there was a shift and people migrated to different areas, however, it provided a distinct influence in the area. Each structure was a little different, and there were a few areas with petroglyphs that you could walk to.

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm

It's also a UNESCO world heritage site.

We drove back to Rio Rancho and on the way stopped at the grocery story. I thought I heard angels singing, and sure enough, when we pulled up we saw a hatch green chili roaster outside. Do you hear them? Now, do you hear them? I have been addicted to these things since my first trip to New Mexico. Strange, I know, but they are incredibly good. Guess there's worse things I could be addicted to.

 Hatch is a town in the southern part of New Mexico near the town of Las Cruces. It's known for these green chilies. Green chilies are grown in other places, but they can't compare to these heavenly goods! yummmm... I'm trying 1001 ways to make green chilies. Had it in pasta last night, and with an egg this morning. Yummm....

We went to pick up Princes, the scared brindle puppy, from the Albuquerque pound. Poor girl got quite sick on the ride home. I included a pic of her (you can see she was drooling a bit from car sickness.) She's settling in nicely and showing some interest, albeit still scared. Bandi (the cattle dog in the picture) is interested in her, and will help with her recovery. Wish I could stay a few more days to see it..

I head back home tomorrow. It's been a nice break from the heat and fun spending time with dad. I did sneak in a trip to see my nephews in Denver, and with my 'sister' in the San Fran area and her kids. They are 10 and 11 and great fun!

In a week and a half I'm off to Yellowstone, a trip I planned several years ago with a friend. I'm so excited to go! Lot of travel in a tight time, but looking forward to it! I'll hopefully blog from there if I can get an internet connection. I will have one at least a couple of the days.

Happy Labor Day everyone!!! s
New Mexico 9/3/12 3:31 PM

No comments: