Saturday, February 14, 2009

Last day!

I think I left off yesterday afternoon sitting at the pool and reading. I ended up meeting a really wonderful man there! He was in the jacuzzi when I walked by and came over to say hello. Turns out he's a retired actor living in NYC (who isn't, right?) He started telling me stories about being in plays with Anne Bancroft and Jason Robards up in Boston and was really fascinating. He got me curious so I googled him later, and did see his son with a reference to him. I'll need to investigate further when I get home! Anyways, his wife of 52 years died around a year and a half ago. This was his first trip without her, and he came in part to see his neice and nephew's coffee farm here. He's spending a month touring the country.

He told me the rumor that the hotel owner said he had a fling with Marilyn Monroe, thus the homage to her. Though Mark smiled and me, winked and said he thought it was wishful thinking! Oh, and I guess his wife dated "Jimmy" Dean for a bit when he was a starving actor.

I invited him to meet us for dinner and we had a drink in the Marilyn Monroe bar, joined by Marilyn's reincarnate herself. I had a really yummy caipurihna, which I've had in Phoenix. It's a drink made with a Brazilian liquor and muddled/crushed limes. Very good. I also decided that I had to have a guaro drink, the native liquor before I left, which was good as well! I asked if they have a drink that I heard about on Three Sheets (a show similar to the style of anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, but revolving around the different alcoholic beverages and customs of different countries) called "Gringo Muerte" or gringo killer. The bartender, from Michigan, laughed and said he'd never heard of it. Not sure I'd really want to try it anyways! Had an amazing dinner at out hotel. It was expensive but well worth it (I had ceviche and a salad, Melanie coconut shrimp, both served in a half coconut.) Mark had tagiateli with different fish and a creme sauce.

We said goodnight and got up early to head to poas. Poas is one of the largest volcanos in CR, and is near the epicenter of the earthquake that hit around a month ago. Everything I was told was that Poas is fine, but that La Paz waterfall nearby was damaged and closed. We did see a few cracks in the road and it was a beautiful drive meandering through coffee plantations. Unfortunately by the time we got up there it was obscured by clouds, so you couldn't see the crater. Mark said he went yesterday and you could look right in and see the lava! I was very disappointed but decided to make the best of it and headed back to go to Los Chorros waterfalls. Surprisingly, the way to Poas was very well marked, with frequent signs. of course the distance was different on each, and I saw two signs within a few feet of each other, one indicating a 22 km distance, and the next 25!

A couple had taken a cab up and asked if we could drive them back to Alajeula. Sure! In they came and off we went! They are from Munich and were just wonderful! Stephi and Martin. They ended up joining us to the waterfall which was a nice treat. The drive down the hill was very steep and rugged, and only wide enough for one car!! I drove and it was a bit scary. But we made it (thankfully with no one coming the other way!!) At the bottom a woman explained the area and offered up a guide. She must have spoken in a local dialect, as neither I nor Martin understood more than a few words.

Off we went through the forest, and quickly found the first waterfall and climbed down. We meandered through the paths in the woods to find the other, where you can swim and go behind the falls, but never did! The one we saw was beautiful and worth the trip. We started getting hungry and decided to head back to check out downtown Alajuela, where they were staying. It was quite a big city, crowded, a million people milling around and very narrow. We parked the car and decided to walk. The parking place was tiny and the spot barely had room for our car. As we debated our plan of attack, the guy working in the garage offered to back it in, an offer we were all to happy to accept! He zipped right into the spot with inches to spare! The town center has a little park with a huge church. We walked by, snapped some photos, then headed to find a restaurant. The one we decided on didn't seem to be there anymore (taken over by a Taco Bell, or some fast food US place) so we found another. The food was ok, but very inexpensive. I was on a mission to try Tres Leches, a cake known in this area, and got a piece here. It was.. interesting. The cake is very moist and is in a creamy liquid, and the frosting is kind of spongy, like a soft mirangue. It was not what I expected and I'm glad I tried it, but won't again!

We left Martin and Stephi (after getting their e-mail) and decided to head back to the hotel to relax by the pool and maybe the jacuzzi. The man working at the garage pulled the car out for us as well, and earned the tip we gave him!! We drove back happy to leave the crowded city and traffic. With the steady stream of people, it made Phoenix traffic look minimal!! I'm tired from the heat, high humidity, and the hike, and it was a bit noisy in the hotel last night.

I'm not sure if I mentioned yesterday the boy on the bike who almost rode into my car! I saw him coming, just meandering from the side of the road. He was looking to the side talking with someone, and his bike was going in the other direction. I came to a complete stop and watching him come close, then honked. Barely anyone hits their horn here, and we were told by someone it's rude, so I didn't want to. But he was about to hit me so I had no choice. He actually looked at us, and glared, and pulled away! Harumph!!!

A little R&R this afternoon. I don't feel like going to the bird zoo that's nearby, and we heard from several, including Stephi and Martin, that San Jose isn't nice. Martin was told that if they want a smaller, nicer and cleaner city to go to Alajuela! Alajeula was a bit much, so I won't be headed to San Jose!

Tomorrow morning I head home to Phoenix, and I'm ready. My flight is bright an early, and I have to be there around 6:30 am. I've been getting up by 6 so it shouldn't be too tough! CR has been a wonderful adventure, and I would highly recommend it! There's so many diverse areas to see. Travel is challenging but kind of exciting in its way. The country is lush, green and beautiful and the people are wonderful!

Happy travels! I expect my next trip will be late summer.. stay tuned!

1 comment:

Sandy_b said...

Loved your trip . . . and can't wait to go.

Where are you going next? Vicki and I are thinking Laos . . .

When you get home, maybe you will post some photos on this blog????

Sandy