Sunday, June 29, 2008

Peru: Last Day

Last day in Peru

We decided to spend our last half day exploring the cute neighborhood of San Blas. Plus, I had ordered a pair of shoes that were being made, and we needed to pick them up. They are very comfortable and interesting leather shoes (thanks to Laura and Amparo for the idea, as they got some too!!) I did a little more shopping, and we found the textile place that we went to yesterday so Barb could buy another gift for someone. I saw some rather interesting looking ceramics that would probably make readers of the Kama Sutra blush! We ended up talking with a man who was in there, who said he made ceramics. He invited us two doors down to his shop to show us his work.

He did some beautiful things, both wood and ceramic. He showed us some beautifully painted Inca calendars, and I bought a couple I liked them so much. He then parted a blanket hanging towards the back to show us his 3 week old daughter, nestled in blankets sleeping! I was so surprised as he was at the other shop for a good ten minutes with us! He was such a nice man and very proud of his daughter and his work. He even showed us a brochure which showed him in “action” and allowed us to take his picture. That was another wonderful thing.. many of the items I purchased for people, I also have a picture of the person who made it!

Barb sat in the square in San Blas soaking up the sun and talking with the locals while I walked around a bit. They were so funny how they congregated around her trying to sell things, and then talking with her. An additional observation that I forgot to mention earlier, is that it was pretty cool to be in a place where I was relatively tall!!! Many of the people there are short of stature, so I was as tall as many of the men that we met and taller than many of the women!

I really do love this place.. the people are so warm, open and friendly. They have so little, but truly believe that they have much. They take a lot of pride in their people, culture, country, their work and their families. While we are blessed with so much in the United States, I don’t think we see that. It really was quite beautiful.

We stopped in a pastry shop that Laura and Amparo recommended and got spiced chicken empanadas, and a chocolate dessert that was very rich and good. We made our way back to the hotel, and while we are looking forward to going home, it was with some sadness that we leave!

The guy who helped Barb with the reservations online has been wonderful to us, and gave Barb a big hug when we were leaving. This is what I’ll remember about Peru.. that such an ordinary thing, like someone helping us make hotel reservations, became such a wonderful and warm moment.

Now that I’m back in the States, I definitely feel appreciative for all that I have. I am craving a big salad (since we didn’t want to risk eating produce!) and sushi, though perhaps not in that order! Peru is not a trip for all—it’s not a place of refinement and luxury. The poverty everywhere is tough to see as well… But for those who can look past the inconveniences, and look in the faces of the people to see the true happiness and beauty radiating from them, Peru is a majestic, mystical and enchanting journey.

No comments: